29.10.07

Kiss the frog - or how to learn German

Der. Die. Das. And Dem. Den. I have put them in the list "things I can't remember".

It's a long list in meantime. The things I can't remember. Learning a new language just really seems to be linked to a whole long list of these. I do my best. Really. But there are these things your head just does not want to accept.

Fortunately, there is also a list "Things I like to remember". And they just stick. In that little head of mine. No matter how I try, I can not get rid of these phrases. Not that they mean anything smart. Or that it makes me speak better German.

I put them in the list because I like them. Because they are funny. So beautiful to listen to. And to say out loud for myself. When I sit in the car. Or they are impolite - I learn them from My Own German - and prefer not to repeat them. Or at least - not out loud. Or it's phrases from songs. Which I can sing along for a single second.

So, I speak a German today assembled with words of my "I like to remember"-list. It's a German about prosecco. (Das alles wär nie passiert ohne prosecco.) And a German about frogs. And a prince. (Meist muss man mehrere Frösche küssen, bevor man einen Prinzen findet.)

And I believe it's a German beautiful to listen to. And it's understandable. For myself. When sitting in the car.

No comments: