19.10.07

Don't you just love the Old German?!

It started with a poem. A small poem. A poem somewhere on an old wall. In Harleshauzen.

I thought it would be good for my German. To learn small poems. New words. In correct phrases. But My Own German sighs. Cause this one small poem on the wall... I just don't get it.

It all started with spatzmausen. Or spazmausen.
I like the word. And remember well.
I can imagine what it means.
But when I look at the world wide web. I find Spatzmausen. And Spazmausen.
Without a meaning. Not in the dictionary.
And written in two different ways.

Because it's an old word! Fantastic!
I like antique. I love old things. I think it's soooo rrrromantic!
An old word...
I am so convinced that it gives me an impressive vocabulary. Knowing the old words. I only would like to know what it means. Literally means. And where it comes from.

I get so concentrated on spatzmausen that I can't remember the rest of the poem. Which drives my Own german m-e-n-t-a-l. What makes me smile.

Cause he...Dear Own German, what about your knowledge of my language?
Any words from anno 1604? Hmmmm... I thought so.

Alice

Anno 1604 ging ein Urochs spazmausen
von Wilhelmshöhe nach Harleshausen.
Und als er kam ins Lückenroth,
schlugen ihn die Harleshäuser tot.
Seitdem ein jedes Kind
die Harleshäuser 'Ossen' nennt.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aach mijn Honepon, ik wil enkel wat Rabbekol eten ... :-)

"Old" enough :-)


YOG

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice, may be you've got all insights by now, still I wanted to reply: The poem is much longer (I copy it below). 'Spatzmausen' seems to be a funny mix of 'spazieren gehen' (to make a walk) and 'schmausen' (to banquet/ feast), with some poetical changes to spelling. Anyway, the poem actually reads as follows:

Ein Urochs ging spatzmausen....
Ein Urochs ging spatzmausen.
von Wilhelmshöh`nach Harleshausen
und als er kam ins Lückenrod
da schlugen ihn die Harleshäuser tot.
Da kam der Klapp und stach ihn ab.
Da kam der Hildebrand mit seinen vier weißen Zicksen angerannt.
Da kam der Beisheim und schleppte Kopf und Füße heim.
Da kam der Klunz und sprach: Gebt mir auch `was in meinen Stunz!
Da kam der Moog und sprach: Gebt mir auch `was in meinen Trog!
Dann kam der Hermen und holte sich de Därmen.
Dann kam der Metzger- Henner und sprach:
Gebt mäh au was für Frau un Kenner!
Dann kam der Knoche und sprach:
Dies Späßchen bleibt nicht ungerochen!

Lots of old words that even Germans hardly know by today. Cheers
MM