21.10.07

The Germans really, really, really ARE structured!

It is no spurise to you that Germans are structured. But I'll tell you a story that will even suprise the most structured foreigner amongst us.


Germans structure their key chains.
Or at least My Own German does.

It is not that I am not structured. The keys from the house belong together, as do the keys from the office.

But a German NUMBERS his keys. First, I open the garage door of the office. Key number 1. Then I open the outer door. Key number 2. And finally, I open the inner door. Key number 3.

Same procedure at home. First, open the garage door. Key number 1. Then take the post out. Key number 2. And finally, open the door - I am freezing by that time - key number 3.

Can you imagine? Structuring your key chain by numbering your keys? In line with how you use them?

I borrowed a key. And he - no way of putting that back where I want. I have to run through a structured timeline of structured activities to structure the key chain.

There's no doubt. The topic is not open for discussion.
Germans ARE structured.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

of cause we do .... these days all keys look the same, so a position within the key chain helps to quickly find the one you need ... ?! no? too much?? and hee ... it´s for free alos :-)

Anonymous said...

Structured or neurotic?!?
;-)
Dixit, one happy neurotic