9.10.07

Busy at the bakery

You know what I miss most when I am not in Germany these days? Backer Becker. A local bakery. With so many different kinds of bread and pastries that you don't know what to choose.

It's one of these things I did not expect. Germans are bratwurst lovers. And being a foreigner, you just do not expect much more on the table than sausages and sauerkraut.

But the German bakery counts up to 300 different kinds of bread. And 1200 different pastries. Or at least, that's what the Ministry of German Agriculture wants you to believe. Just as Backer Becker.

They claim it's the enormous variety of wheats and grains that makes every German baking bread. And pastries. Or eating bread. And pastries.

Gives me a feeling I should stay at home and make cake. To try it for myself. But seen that cooking is not really my kind of thing - I don't even know where the oven is - I started at Backer Becker.

I try them out now. 300 kinds of bread and 1200 kinds of pastries. I am at 3. For the bread. And 7. For the pastries. They were so good, I kept on trying them.

Still a long time to go for me in Germany...

No comments: